Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What Grace Looks Like


When living in Scotland, I was invited to attend the retirement party of a woman named Ruth.  Ruth attended the church where I was interning, but I hadn’t met her other than brief handshakes.  My friend Liz, who would be playing the fiddle, invited me as her guest.

But it was Ruth who as the hostess showed me what lived grace looks like to a stranger in a strange land.

This was Ruth’s night, but she took me literally by the hand and told the stories of her work life as a midwife to me.  When she referred to people, well-known to everyone else in the room, she had them stand up so I could know who they were.

In every way, Ruth reached out to me and drew me into the circle of friendship and love surrounding her on her night.  It was about her, but she managed to include me.

That’s grace: including.

God includes us just like Ruth included me.

2 comments:

  1. I well remember that night - what a lovely illustration to draw from it:)

    ReplyDelete