Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lent Devotion: Star Dust


Skin was earth; it was soil. I could see, even on my own skin . . . 
the dust specks God had wetted and stuck with his spit the morning 
he made Adam from dirt. Now, all these generations later, we people 
could still see on our skin the inherited prints of the dust specks 
of Eden. I loved this thought . . . Someday I would count [them], 
with the aid of a mirror, and learn precisely how many dust specks Adam comprised – one single handful God wetted, shaped, 
blew into, and set firmly into motion and left to wander about 
in the fabulous garden bewildered.          
                                                                    –Annie Dillard

I have walked the Pleiades                                                      
     and followed their courses
I have been bound by the Kimah chains
Spitzer image of the Pleiades ininfrared,
showing the associated dust (
Merope Nebula).
Credit: 
NASA/JPL-Caltech
     loosened by the hand of God
I was shaken loose from                    Thuraya’s whirlings
          only to settle here
I am the God-breathed dust
          scattered
                    collected
          only to be scattered again
And it is good.

2 comments:

  1. I just spread louie's (my dog) ashes and i use the little box they came in with his name on top to store my new dogs' snacks. And it is good Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Ann - what a lovely continuity and remembrance for dear Louie. Beth

      Delete