Monday, February 6, 2012

Fog


76. Fog

THE fog comes  
on little cat feet.  
  
It sits looking  
over harbor and city  
on silent haunches         
and then moves on

From Shenandoah Mountain
I have always loved Carl Sandburg’s poem about fog, I suppose because I have always loved the fog.

I find quiet mystery in the fog, whether it’s driving in and out of the soupy mists in these mountains or walking the quad at Princeton Seminary late at night imagining the long-coated stranger of pulp fiction emerging from the shrouded backbrop of its density or seeing a tendril of chimney smoke, thick enough to stand out against the fog at the magical dusk hour in these high hills I now call home.

Somehow I cling to the awe of the child who sees not danger but wonder in what she cannot see behind.

The fog slows and stills me and even slow-moving cars become friends rather than obstacles, as their welcome red tail lights show the way home.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting poem - it is actually very foggy here in Greenock today - very eerie!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i was young i lived close to the great lake shipping route...i associate the fog with the sound of the freightors deep fog horn warning sound....it gives me a peaceful feeling that all is well.....sort of like gods signaling saying you can not see me but i am here....ann

    ReplyDelete