Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snow Angels


I went to bed accompanied by
the soundless sound of snow falling
and awoke to more and more and more

Snow upon snow upon snow
dresses trees
blankets buildings
piles joyfully on fence posts

Winds blow unseen above
and branches respond
shaking off the weight
the sheer presence of
all that whiteness

Every snow day of my life
stands alongside me now

The kids making tunnels
and forts, frozen mouths
demanding hot chocolate

Sled riding and bon fires
huddled teens laughing
at the cold silliness and
joy of it all

Snow men and snow balls
and snow angels

ah, the snow angels
how bittersweet they are

the boyfriend heart of my youth
hailing from the Middle East
and never having seen snow
yet somehow knowing to make
a snowball and give it a toss
my way, wearing his joy for warmth

me showing him snow angels
a first time joy that led to
kisses wrapped in snow

I wonder if he’s seen any
angels since?  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment