Saturday, November 9, 2013

Quilt-Making God

Quilt-making God
who covers me with
a warmth I can scarce
take in with its complete
and completing embracing
of all found lying under these
many covers and layers

imagine how surprised I am
to find that You are there –
one of the layers, if not all
of them – embracing
warming
and warming to
covering
and uncovering

me
us
the all
of everything

in every stitch
we are made
and undone

in every pattern
we are found
and put in our place
[not in a bad way]

in every layer of the quilt
You have made 
and make
that is You

there are we
a part of the 
weave
the texture
of You

_______________
Last night I slept on the couch under the quilt I made when I was 18 or so for my parents’ wedding anniversary.  I have it now for some necessary repairs, which I’ve been slow to make.  I think I just like having it here, as I find myself thinking that I need more quilts.  There is no warmth, no comfort, like lying under the covering made so lovingly, stitch by stitch, by beloved human hands – save God.  For me, God’s love is much like that quilt, made with a thousand hands from the past guiding my inept fingers in the ways they should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment