Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Good Teacher


I’m still plugging away at my cello lessons and just wanted to give a shout out to my teacher, Gretta Sandberg, who, with the skill of a seasoned professional, knows how to hand out compliments and encouragement like candy into the empty bucket of a sad trick-or-treater.

Her words are always true, which can make it a challenge with a student like me, who is, often as not, sending something terrible and screechy into the airwaves around us.

My favorite Gretta line so far has to be: Wow!  Look at the progress you’re making!  You actually talked to me while you were playing!  You couldn’t have done that a couple of months ago!

Yes, I can chew gum and walk (or in my case, move my bow across the strings and talk) at the same time.

Seriously, I have to admit that the compliment pleased me out of all proportion.

A good teacher reminds you that you really are doing better, even when you can’t see (or hear) it.

Thanks, Gretta!

Love, The One Who Can Talk and Bow at the Same Time

1 comment:

  1. You made me laugh and smile- and wonder do I talk and play at the same time? ;-)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete