Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas is For Family


It’s Christmas Day.

You’re supposed to be with your family.

Isn’t that what Christmas is about?

It’s what even the preachers say, these days.

But maybe even the preachers got it wrong.

Maybe it’s always been about being
with the one that needs us.

Or maybe it’s just that we forgot
how to define family

Maybe family is
whoever needs you
most at the time

And so it is that God’s Holy Spirit
tapped a few folks on the shoulder today
and whispered in their ears . . .
Check your facebook
Justin has need of you

And while I, the usual
keeper of the FB for our
church, sit with my mother
as she every so slowly
recovers from a car accident –
taking phone calls from
far away family while she
and I keep ICU nurses and docs
occupied on this Christmas Day,

while all that goes on, Justin
sends out a cry for help
and people come running
Jim and Bonnie and Diane
Janine and Vicki and Tabitha
Jeanne Lou and Lisa

the saints gather round
and pray and breathe
and pray and comfort
and pray and share

It is Christmas Day
a day for gift-giving
I pray Justin is getting
the gifts he needs

I know I am
as I read through
tears all this

yes

family

gathered round

keeping him

safe

and

loved

and

comforted

and

loved

and

held

from afar

yes – that’s family I’m seeing

And I’m wondering if any
of the reaching out ones
have considered that today,
Justin is God’s gift to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment