Friday, June 15, 2012

The only bugs I ever liked


A spark of knowledge in a world of ignorance or darkness.  --The Aztecs

I saw my first lightening bug last night.  Crossing the road in the dark of the night, there she was, right in front of me.  I reached out my hand and we brushed past each other, she and I, each going our own way.

I looked back, but she did not – not being mating material, she had no interest in the likes of me.

Lightening bugs and summer – an inseparable pairing in my mind and heart.

Now I confess – I hate bugs – all kinds of bugs.

They engender an irrational fear in me that is entirely disproportionate to their size.

All bugs, that is, except lightening bugs.  You may know them as fireflies.  Family: Lampyridae   

They don’t have lightening bugs in Scotland.  I don’t know why.  But I have loved the charm that passes the faces of my Scottish friends when they meet these magic creatures of the night.

Check out firefly.org for tips on how to
increase the fireflies in your own backyard
My own love affair started, as I’m guessing it did for you who have them where you live, when I was a kid and we chased them, caught them, put them in jars and wore them as bracelets (notice that I did not say that lightening bugs have any reason to love me back).

Last summer grandson Rowen had his own chance to explore the dark of a country night chasing lightening bugs.  But the times have changed – instead of a glass mayonnaise jar with holes punched in the lid, Rowen had his own hand-crafted by his own hands at the Library plastic mesh bug house with accompanying pipe cleaner handle.  Sadly for Rowen, but good news for the fireflies, he caught only one that night and her only briefly.  He was so excited as his Dad put her on his hand that he danced.  She, of course, flew away.  He cried his disappointment and then chased the other lights flashing in the night.

I can’t wait til Rowen comes back and we do it again, when I am now the grownup cautioning kindness for the living thing of beauty so desired.

Pure magic.

2 comments:

  1. Especially love your last two sentences!!!!
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. It's wonderful to live it all, isn't it?

      Delete