Sharing your life, your favorites, the world through your eyes with a guest has its challenges as well as its rewards. I’ve had a lot of company these last weeks, and as Rachel (Rae) from Scotland and I share our last full day, I’m already thinking back.
Here, then, a list of things cool about sharing with a guest to your life:
1. The fun of sharing regional favorites, like Five Guys, sweet tea and fried chicken from the gas station.
2. Heading to those places you love but seldom get to – Cooper’s Rock, Valley Falls, and Natural Bridge, to name a few.
3. Luring her in to your own obsession with all things Star Trek, ending up with both of you humming together the Star Trek Voyager theme music at dinner.
5. Finding your amazement at the things she doesn’t like that you just love – who wouldn’t love fresh tomatoes with mozzarella, basil and a little balsamic? Why, it’s positively unAmerican. Oh.
6. Seeing your world through her eyes, realizing (again) just how loud we Americans of the U. S. variety can be (are); noticing our craven love for salt (who knew there even could be too much salt on movie pop corn?); having to warn that our hot water is not an inexhaustible supply (why will we not adopt the U. K. way on this?); rediscovering that a coffee maker is mysterious if you’ve never used one before; explaining that you’re safe in a car from a Mama Bear; remembering how much you love fire works; having to explain who the people of your people’s history are – what each tribe holds so dear of its past is but so much unknown data to those of another tribe.
7. Showing her the magic of the nighttime in summer and watching her see lightening bugs for the first time – pure magic.
8. Rediscovering how very much we are all alike and how very much we are all so different – all at the same time.