Friday, October 26, 2012

Ann Coulter: Just a Thought


"I'm a Christian first and a mean-spirited, bigoted conservative second, and don't you ever forget it."   –Ann Coulter

Whatever I am politically, I am not a conservative.  Consequently, I am no fan of Ann Coulter.  And her recent Tweet using a pejorative word to describe the President which is hurtful to others – it was on the playground and it is now -- is not one I appreciate.

That said, I have to admit that I both laughed out loud and admired the spirit of the quote above, cited by Wikipedia's bio.  I have had to wonder whether the same is true of me or not.  Am I a Christian first and all the other things that might describe me second?

The judging me wants to say that if you’re truly a Christian first, you don’t get to be bigoted and mean-spirited at all, let alone second.  But the humor-appreciating woman me wants to say hat’s off for a really good self-lampoon that just might point to a larger truth: there are many ‘mes’ in each and all of us.  To observe that about ones’ self can be a canard – offered up to deceive others with one’s apparent true civility, all other evidence to the contrary.  Or it can actually be a candid moment of self revealing.  In Ms. Coulter’s case, maybe it’s both.  Maybe it’s neither.

But before I go off on a rant at someone else’s behavior, I might do well to stop and take stock of my own and ask what list might be reeled off about my own second-place characteristics and found wanting.

Just a thought.

4 comments:

  1. If we could not be different things in different times and situations we would be like cars without springs....as we travel along and go over a bump we would break....ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, 'cars without springs . . .' that would break - what an evocative image for our own need of flexibility and the need to recognize and allow for that in others. As always, thank you for your wisdom. Peace, Beth

      Delete
  2. Good point Beth! I too want to judge her and say what kind of Christian acts,or speaks like that. Oh yeah, lots of Christians , and myself included on the list. She doesnt represent the conservatives that I know and love, and I wish I could strangle her sometimes,whoops that was mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, It's so good to hear from you. Yeah, I too have to keep remembering that I have an Ann Coulter living inside me :-) And I know she's not representative. I love vigorous debate. I just wish we would focus on the ideas and plans and not the personalities so much. I guess that begins with me, eh? Peace & hugs, Beth

      Delete