Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's So Super About Tuesday?


Yesterday while Republican presidential candidates engaged in all the usual campaign activities and voters in Tennessee, Georgia, Vermont, Ohio, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Alaska, Massachusetts, Virginia and Idaho turned out to choose their primary favorites, the day wound through its usual course for the rest of us.

I have to confess that I am so disconnected from it all, so out of touch with any sense that what’s on the airwaves has anything to do with me, that I actually wondered throughout the day what all the cars were doing in the Volunteer Fire Department parking lot behind my house.  Only this morning as I write this does it occur to me that the VFD is our local polling place and that people were voting.

I suspect I’m not alone in this disconnect: in this place where voter turnout is usually high, especially for presidential elections, no one I saw yesterday sported the usual sticker showing that they had voted; no one I spoke with even mentioned the primary happening in our midst.

Thus it was not electoral politics, but ‘life on the ground’ that occupied my attention and focus yesterday.

I talked with family and got a report from my son about his first day on the new job and when he and my grandson will be coming for a visit.

Bible study in the morning with the gals was a time of learning and thoughtful discussion and reflection.

Prayer needs were exchanged and prayers offered throughout the day.

Time was spent with a friend in need.

Like every other day of the week, Tuesday was its own gift, for which I am grateful.

My prayer for all those who would be president this day is not only the usual for their increased wisdom, goodness and kindness, but also that they too, even in the midst of the pressure cooker that is electoral politics in these United States, had a Tuesday that was its own gift, filled with family and friends and opportunities to serve others.

No comments:

Post a Comment