Thursday, January 19, 2012

When Sound Turns Into Music


Some time ago, my friend and fellow pastor, Melissa, speaking about my struggles to learn to play the cello, with lots of descriptors by me of the screeches and howls I was managing to evoke from my instrument, spoke of her own love of playing and the magic moment when sound turns into music.  Even though I haven’t gotten there on the cello, I knew just what she meant.

A symphony of laundry
from Wikimedia Commons
The rough and tumble mix of voices in the choir melding into one sweet note of accord . . . the murmur of husband and wife emerging into one long note of love . . . the sing-song cadence of the preached sermon transforming into a spoken song of praise . . . a single, understandable word emerging from a baby’s gibberish . . . the moment on the dance floor when you and your partner move as one . . . when the seemingly random calls of the birds clarifies in my ears into the song of the flying world . . . when the sung notes of a single man in the Baptistry in Piza reverberate into a choir of sound as he sings to and with himself . . . when crunching tires in the snow evoke the rhythms of the swishing jazz drum player . . . when the wind-whipped laundry on the line on a cold and bright winter’s day segues into hand-clapping, foot-stomping, finger-snapping, rhythmic gusto . . . when sound turns into music . . . Melissa’s right . . . it is magic.

6 comments:

  1. love this one!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is one of your best yet. I totally understand!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's just something about the world of sound, isn't there? Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Wow I am honored- and when you mentioned this yesterday- I had not read this one-- I had thought you where referring to the previous one. You make me smile. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved it and wrote it down the day you spoke about the moment when 'sound turns into music'. Back atcha, girlfriend!

      Delete