Monday, May 21, 2012

ScotlandDay39: It is well


The woman on the mountain stopped in her tracks
by Karen’s* Metropolitan-Opera-sized voice
singing It is well with my soul
We thousands worship in the valley
so too does the lone hiking woman
on the mountain
frozen for a moment in time
by a voice too big to be contained
        and the truth it sings.
As the last note fades,
on she moves
back to her journey
up the mountain
But for a moment
we were bound together,
she and I,
in that worship space
of the two- or more gathered
Both of us stopped in our track-making
on this planet
we call home
And it was well with our souls

The woman hiker is in the center of the photo


_____________
Opera singer Karen Cargill sang some hymns during worship at Heart & Soul 2012, the Church of Scotland kick-off event for their annual General Assembly in Edinburgh.  This is the third GA of the Church of Scotland that I've been able to attend at least a portion of.  During the closing outdoor worship where thousands gathered together (a first for me), Edinburgh Castle and the mountainside approach faced us as the background to the worship stage area; and as I listened to one of my own favorite hymns, I noticed a woman hiker standing rock still while Ms. Cargill sang.

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit when I saw the hyperlink on the song title, I was half expecting to hear Ms. Cargill singing the song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have been good - sadly, can't find one - all there is is a video clip of the day (and Karen's not in it - maybe because she's also a professional performer, maybe they didn't actually film the worship time - not really sure, but I'm with you - would be nice to have that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and here's the clip that is available online from the events of the day (the man who wrote 'The Days of Elijah' was there as well).

      http://www.heartandsoul2012.org.uk/about/video

      Delete