Thursday, May 24, 2012

Perspective


Ailsa Craig . . .

men in tweed on bicycles with helmets on their heads . . .

older men in navy blue suits with vests, clutching SmartPhones to their ears. . .

all bring me lessons in perspective.

Even the word brings to mind wildly varying concepts . . . Google a question about perspective as relates to objects in the distance and you get both an explanation of why the moon seems to follow us as we drive (Following the moon) and an article responding to someone seeking advice on how to get past the hatred and disappointment in her marriage - I think the common tag must have been ‘moving’.

***

Ailsa Craig

I drive more than 5 miles and do not pass Ailsa Craig from sight when I’m going along the coast towards Girvan.  Ailsa Craig remains alongside me from the time she comes into view over the crest at Turnberry until the last cross street before I pull up to the Crumlish vacation home where I’ve been a guest these last weeks, but the buoy that’s in front of her but so much closer to the shore passes from my view measures in yards, not miles.

Distance brings perspective.

Physical distance brings changed as well as better-focused perspective.  So too does cultural distance.

Some time ago I was thinking about aging as it shows itself in the silliest of ways – things like wondering when I stopped updating the decorating of my home and why, realizing I am become the fresh makings of a little old lady whose home appears frozen in some long-ago past barely imaginable to the young ones who might stumble in.  I was really feeling my age.

And then I saw these Scottish gentlemen all about, riding their bicycles dressed in their old-fashioned tweed suits, but with state-of-the-art bicycle gear, including helmets and those in their dated navy blue suits with vests, speaking into their Droids or SmartPhones as they headed home for some neeps and tatties (how’s that for a stereotype?).

None of us are all one thing or another – neither old nor young, fresh or outdated, even good nor bad.

And call me stone-age, but I quite like how my house is decorated.

4 comments:

  1. I love your house-- it is you minus the wallpaper in the living room (you know the same stuff I have in my master bedroom)-- I love the artwork- pictures you have up- I love the fact it is not cluttered by toys! Then again to be fair to anyone reading- I wouldn't know if you were not following the current fashion- because I do not keep up with those things.

    Melissa

    Ps-- Clayton needs a chocolate purse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for the shout out for my house (minus, of course, the wall paper :-) And of course, I'm past the toy clutter time - it's a trade-off, isn't it - no clutter, no kids :-(

      And if I could figure out how, I'd definitely bring Clayton a chocolate purse - might be able to make them at home - would be a fun parting gift, eh?

      Delete
  2. So weird. I have had the same thoughts. Offered the chance to go to an auction the other day, I couldn't bear to think of bringing something home and trying to find a place for it. So different from my earlier years. But, I attributed it partly to the fact that I don't want to lift and slide furniture around much anymore. Old age is making me lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old age? Lazy? That does not compute :-) (Translate - us? NEVER!)

      Delete