Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Hunger Games: Allow A Minister Who Can’t Help Herself to Kvetch


Some months ago, as a fan of the television series Grey’s Anatomy, I actually spent about half of a day trying (without success) to locate a way to communicate a programming idea to the producers.

The idea?  Simply to include a hospital chaplain as a (even if seldom) recurring character.

Most, if not all, hospitals of comparable size in the United States, actually have paid chaplains on staff.  The absence of such a character is, at least to me, a jarring absence, particularly when the drama engages matters of a spiritual nature.

Not even having dialogue that references the chaplain who just left is to literally erase such a figure and such a dimension from the real-time plane of existence for the characters.

It is an absence not unique to Grey’s Anatomy.

Having finished The Hunger Games trilogy of books (there are definite advantages to having an extended time off work – catching up on light reading is one of them), I find the same absence, the same lack.

In a tale of the upheaval of an entire society wrenched by violence and war, religion is notable for its absence.  Things spiritual simply aren’t there.  The rituals are the ceremonies of the soldier.  Gatherings are the collective of oppression.  Friendship is the cement, if any there be, of human relationships.

I struggle to name what troubles me.  After all, Susan Collins, the author of The Hunger Games books, the writers and producers of Grey’s Anatomy, as well as the myriad of writers of fiction for stage, screen and the printed page, are free to write whatever narrative strikes their fancy.  And I am free to view or read or not, as I choose.

But the vacuum, the dearth, of things spiritual in our fiction, argues for a problem that shakes me down to my soul: it isn’t that such things aren’t true or valuable; rather, the absence seems to suggest that in our common sphere of imagination, such things are simply irrelevant.

And that does more than make me sad; it makes me frightened – not wrath of God frightened – more that-which-has-no-name frightened – the fear that we are losing something so dear without even knowing it – the ability to imagine that even in the midst of our immediate concerns, something larger than ourselves looms ever present, calling out for our attention, calling out for us to be more than we are, better than we are.

It is the feeling that we who have so much are settling for so much less.


_________________
No doubt, a better theologian than I is already hard at work on the next Gospel According To . . . tome, celebrating the deep spiritual meanings to be found in The Hunger Games trilogy.  To that author, I hope my ignorance is forgiven.  And please know that I did not overlook the benedictory language about odds, but allow me to call to mind Mark Twain’s much more eloquent and True (the capital ‘T’ is intentional) The War Prayer for finding spiritual challenge to the collective wisdom of the day when it comes to war and violence and the ‘odds’ of winning and losing in what has always been a fixed game.



3 comments:

  1. You might not remeber that I told you by the time I finished the first one-- I almost had a panic attack- but I could not figure out why- you have just named it for me. I mentioned the lack of God/religion/theology to someone else but even then I could not name that nagging-suffocating feeling that shook me to the core in book one till reading your post. I am glad you read the books if only to help me see what I could not name. Thank you for sharing-Melissa

    PS I ahve finished all of them as well- and I struggle to find theological themes- other than critques of social acceptances of war and status quo and what the Christain response should be- that is not shown in the books. I am not sure there could be a Gospel of the Hunger Games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I'm with you in doubting such a thing as a gospel of hunger games to be possible, but I've come not to doubt the creativity of others, so am expecting someone to find a way to tap into the phenomena the books have become. On fb, John Bethard called it nihilism - I'm not sure he's right, but he's not wrong either. But what does it say that the story of a people need not rely on anything of the spiritual, of anything of the beyonded-ness of life? A story needs readers, after all, so what does it say about us?

      Delete
  2. An even beter question- what does that say about us? I had so many issues with the books- and Sarah P kept telling me it would work itself out in the end- but did it? I ahve not yet asked a young person (who the books are intended for) what is there take-on why spiritulaity was left out? Is it so science fiction- that the future has no one left in it that believes in something other than themselves and even then they do not really believe that? I agree with John B- in his definition if you take the second defition: the belief that destruction of existing political or social institution is necessary for future imporvement-which in it's own way is not the Katniss belief- but that of President Snow and the President Coin - and can those caught between the two have another belief system? like a system of Faith? Melissa-- PS I am really enjoying this conversation!

    ReplyDelete