Friday, October 21, 2011

How the Light Gets In


Ring the bells that still can ring 
Forget your perfect offering 
There is a crack in everything 
That's how the light gets in. 
                                          Chorus from Anthem by Leonard Cohen

I sit in a workshop at CPT’s Peace Congress in Chicago.  I’m not sure what it’s about, but clay will be involved.  And I am more than ready for a bit of play in my spiritual life.

Photo by Tim Nafziger courtesy of CPT
The facilitator hands us each a ball of clay, inviting us to shape it however we like.  As we press and mold and shape, she speaks. . . gently . . . quietly . . . she speaks of loss, for there is much loss in the room . . .

And she speaks of allowing the cracks into our creations . . . quoting Leonard Cohen’s Anthem, she reminds us of letting the light in . . . of seeking and finding the spaces and gullies and gulches in our faith . . . of looking there . . . in the broken places . . . for God’s shining . . .

I glance around . . . all have created small pots of beauty and symmetry . . . all save me . . . my creation is a broken thing . . . finger gouges mark it within and without . . . cracks and holes where my hands have punched through, at first unaware, mark this misshapen thing that I begin to see as me . . . broken and bent, chock full of holes, uneven, barely standing . . . and yet somehow letting in the light . . .

I start to press the clay back into a ball and begin again, aiming for beauty this time, when something stays my hands . . . no . . . this is true . . . and so I keep it . . . and a couple of Sundays from now, I will stand at the communion table and pour the wine into the misshapen clay . . . and the wine will pour out . . . like Jesus, poured not in, but out, for us . . . and the light will come in.

4 comments:

  1. Amazingly perceptive! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a city and a university enviornment where the message was to lead with your strength and hide your weaknesses. When i found this rural mountain place i was delighted to discover that it is what i can not do that makes people friendly....here where i think there is the most love amoung folks of all the places i have been...it seems to be the cracks that lets the love in. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, I had never thought of it that way, but when I read your words, "[in] this mountain place I was delighted to discover that it is what I cannot do that makes people friendly. . ." I had to smile - it's so, so true! The perfect among and within us are awfully hard to love.

    ReplyDelete